Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Photography: Women of Afghanistan by Luke Powell


I was led to the inspirational portfolio of Luke Powell by the wonderful blog carmelcarmelo .Luke has travelled extensively throughout Afghanistan capturing many compelling images of the people, landscape and architecture. I've showcased some of his photos depicting women in this country, a topic of profound interest to me. I  just finished reading 2 books related to this issue ( Kabul in Winter by Ann Jones and The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad) both heartrending accounts of life in Afghanistan  after the fall of the Taliban, which remains highly misogynistic and tyrannically unjust. I thought this a fitting post with which to end the year.My mini tribute to a brutally oppressed segment of the world's population- the Women of Afghanistan.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing these! important photos and an important issue. i hope these women and their men will experience peace and prosperity soon.

    by the way: åsne seierstad is a fellow norwegian. her book was a big bestseller when it was published, but i didn't know that it made it to the states!

    ReplyDelete